How Can I Get Child Support?

How Can I Get Child Support? The Modus Operandi
If you are looking for child support, the first thing that you will have to do is to file for the same. Without filing nothing can be done. As the first step, you will have to visit the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) in your area. The OCSE is responsible for working with you so that the child support order can be first established and then enforced. For this, there is a proper procedure and you need to follow all the steps. Below mentioned are some of the procedural aspects of filing for child support:

Woman: In case you are a woman and unfortunately, you were never married to the father of your child, it becomes essential for the Office of Child Support Enforcement to establish paternity. For this, it sometimes becomes necessary for OCSE to find the father and verify paternity using genetic or DNA testing.

Whereabouts: It may happen that you are not aware of the other parent’s whereabouts. In case of this situation, the OCSE will ask you about the most recent address of the other parent known to you. In addition to this, one of the components of OCSE known as the FPLS or the Federal Parent Locater Service will make use of NDNH provided information. NDNH stands for National Directory of New Hires. Two additional resources that Federal Parent Locater Service will make use of are SDNH and SESA. SDNH is the abbreviation for State Directories of New Hires and SESA is the abbreviation used for State Employment Security Agencies.

Documents: You will be required to give the count of the number of children and the date of birth for each child, Social Security Number for everyone involved in the case, documents for child care expenses like schooling, health, private tuitions etc., tax returns etc. Please understand that the required documents may differ from one state to another.

Associated Fee: Yes, there is a fee for this service. Office of Child Support Enforcement will be charging you money for establishing and enforcing child support. The fee may go up to $25. However, you can qualify for a waiver in case you receive financial aid in form of Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). However, you will have to provide necessary proofs in order to get the waiver.

Timeframe: Obtaining child support is not a short process. There are not shortcut methods and you will have to follow the rules and regulations. Once you apply for it, the Office of Child Support Enforcement will assign a case worker. The duty of the worker will be to walk you through each and every step one by one. This means, it will start right from establishing paternity to obtaining and enforcing child support. There will be multiple agencies involved during the entire course of the process. You need to understand that your case may not be the only one in hand. There may be several others and hence, time that each agency takes may be a considerable amount of time. You may need to wait. Patience is essential!

Rights of the other parent: Once you successfully obtain child support, the other parent may exercise visitation rights. If granted, you cannot really stop him/her from visiting your child. You will have to co-operate. However, the other parent will have to petition the court to earn that permission.